The Cow Jumped Over The Moon

wormholesurfer

The Cow Jumped Over The Moon

Post by wormholesurfer »

Hi Everyone, really happy to be here with you. Despite i am clearly not a deep fan of Twin Peaks for a long time (i've seen it only 4 years ago ...) i really love this serie so much for many reasons and i would like to dive deeper into this wonderfull world.
Anyway, i'm here to ask about Evil Cooper words when phoning in the end of this episode . I am French and watch full english episode without any sub, sometimes i don't understand all :/

Can somebody help please ?

Thanks a lot
Dom

Re: Evil Cooper Words when phoning ?

Post by Dom »

Do you mean the "code phrase" he said over the phone?

It's "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon".

It's from an old nursery rhyme, Hey Diddle, Diddle:

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the Fiddle,
The Cow jump'd over the Moon,
The little dog laugh'd to see such Craft,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon

It has interesting connections, including a Shakespearian one... one of the fanciful history of the origin of the rhyme is that it is connected to the death of Edward IV that paved the way to Richard III. Edward IV's great friend was William of Hastings... as in "Bill Hastings", the school principal accused of murdering Ruth Davenport. Richard III had him killed.
B.B.

Post by B.B. »

Nice parallel with Bill Hastings.
I also found a link with Tolkien and his poem "The Man in the Moon Stayed Up Too Late" from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book (inspired by Hey Diddle, Diddle).
It's singing by Frodo in The Lord of the Rings when he accidentally slipping on the Ring for the first time, at the right moment of these verses are pronounced: "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon", causing him to disappear and startle the patrons.
The story as well as the construction of the poem are interesting for our purpose: a man from the Moon going down to Earth, and surely the link with the ring.

Concerning Bill Hastings I found interesting that his address is 439 Elm Street Buckhorn, SD. knowing that he's the actor who played the killer in "Scream" directed by Wes Craven. Director who made "Nightmare on Elm Street".
Knowing that Lynch is playing a lot with meta fiction in this season that means a lot.
Especially in the choice of Stu (played by Matthew Lillard) to play the guy that maybe killed Ruth (aunt Ruth in MD ?). At the end of the movie we learn that he aids Billy in the killings apparently for no real reason (doppelganger?). (Besides he's dying from electrocution, receiving a TV on his head: reminding me the beginning of FWWM).
wormholesurfer

Post by wormholesurfer »

waow , thanks a lot guys !!