It's In the Editing

tsquid

It's In the Editing

Post by tsquid »

This has floored me. Last episode I couldn't understand why the scene with Audrey and Charlie was so cheaply done. There was basically one front shot of Audrey and two shots of Charlie that were cut together for the scene. There's a repeat of that with Nadine and Jacoby. This time, it's so badly edited that everything becomes obvious. Followed up by Audrey not knowing who she is, and the return of James singing the same song.... and the RR branding, the repeating scene on Sarah's tv.
So much of The Return has focused on monitors and people watching things on monitors. This episode has the gang watching Mr. C on a huge screen. I do believe Lynch is really pulling up the ideas of television, the unreality of television, and Twin Peaks is being shown as a badly made tv show, at least with some of the characters (Norma, Shelly, Nadine, Jacoby, and James). What about The Roadhouse and all the nonsensical drama the people have there? Are the Renaults actually producers, booking musical acts for each episode? The idea of tv shows is reinforced with Janey-E, the typical tv housewife. Her character, her motivations are only in reaction to her husband. She has nothing outside of him, much like the tv wives in old shows. Actually, almost all the Vegas characters are pushing tv stereotypes. Look at the Mitchum Brothers and the cops.
Dale Cooper is caught in a television show. Mr. C is a television show. He is always scrutinized on monitors.
So where is this heading? How is Lynch going to resolve his ode to television?
I know I'm rambling here, but from all this set up, all the bad editing, all the hyperreal scenarios, where is this heading? Is this the Lodges' view of the world, as a television program?
My brain won't stop processing...
Ste7en

Re: It's In the Editing

Post by Ste7en »

I loved James singing Just you and the backing singers emulating Maddy & Donna. It gave me goosebumps.

I felt so sorry for Ed, sitting all alone.
schlep

Post by schlep »

I love the character of Janey-E, the sort of housewife automaton, devoted to defending her suburban corner and seemingly oblivious to the disturbing aspect of her husband suddenly becoming a walking vegetable, albeit a more sexually attractive one. The scene in episode 13 where she receives delivery of the playset and car (Sonny Jim is in SEVENTH HEAVEN) - Naomi Watts is just radiant in this crazy role. I wonder how she's going to take the rude awakening that is surely in the cards.

Meanwhile Dr Jacoby continues to be the show's most useless character-?
Ste7en

Post by Ste7en »

Noo... I love Dr Amp! :)
I'm Dougie2

Post by I'm Dougie2 »

Surely that wasn't the actor singing that. Had to be a woman!!! Does that song have meaning??? Refresh me. Who is the mystery chic bawling over it?
Ste7en

Post by Ste7en »

I'm Dougie2 wrote: 08 August 2017, 00:55 Surely that wasn't the actor singing that. Had to be a woman!!! Does that song have meaning??? Refresh me. Who is the mystery chic bawling over it?
It is, it was just 'repitched' from how he sang it... or something like that IIRC.