No Place Like Home - Returning to Twin Peaks, by Andreas Halskov

Lynchland

No Place Like Home - Returning to Twin Peaks, by Andreas Halskov

Post by Lynchland »

No Place Like Home - Returning to Twin Peaks is an essay written by our friend Andreas Halskov
In many ways, the new Twin Peaks is about returning, about going back, re(dis)covering or even recreating a town and a mythology from the scattered fragments of familiar faces, vague memories and incompatible or even incoherent sources. “What we observe is not nature itself,” as Annie Blackburn (Heather Graham) said to Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) in the original series, quoting Werner Heisenberg, “but nature exposed to our method of questioning.” That line might hold a deeper truth in the world of Twin Peaks than we had previously thought: Perhaps there is no one Twin Peaks, just as there is not one Laura Palmer or only one Dale Cooper.

In other words, if Twin Peaks seems unrecognizable, disorienting or even incomprehensible in its new incarnation, there might be a good reason for that: As of yet, we have only seen the town in fragments, Dale Cooper, who is, himself, as fragmented as ever, has not yet returned to Twin Peaks, and the town and FBI agent that we came to love in the early 1990s might look different from a new perspective. In the original series, Cooper famously insisted on seeing Twin Peaks as a piece of “heaven,” even if that heaven “included arson, multiple homicides, and an attempt on the life of a federal agent” (as Judge Sternwood reminded him).
Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland
dale_coop

Re: No Place Like Home - Returning to Twin Peaks, by Andreas Halskov

Post by dale_coop »

Interesting, this essay. I don't know if I totally agree with it, we all have our own interpretation of Twin Peaks, but his explanation and the theories he proposes are plausibles.
Dream, parallel universe, a lot of theories coexist for years and even more recently (since the release of The Secret History of Twin Peaks)

All I hope I'd Twin Peaks will not end like "Oh, it's was just a dream", like JR in Dallas or not like the end of LOST, which I didn't like so much, an easy way to end, for a complicated story with an impossible smart exit to find

-----

Intéressant, cet essai. Je ne sais pas si je suis complètement d'accord, parce qu'on a tous maintenant sa propre compréhension de Twin Peaks, mais son explication et les théories qu'il proposent sont plausibles.
Rêve, univers parallèle, beaucoup de théories qui s'entre-choquent depuis des années et encore plus depuis quelques mois (depuis la sortie de l'Histoire Secrète de Twin Peaks).

Tout ce que je souhaite, c'est que Twin Peaks ne se termine pas sur un "Ah c'était juste un rêve", a la JR dans Dallas, ni même une fin a la LOST, n'ai vraiment pas trop accroché, un peu bâclée... trop facile pour boucler une histoire devenir trop compliquée, impossible à détricoter.
A damn fine cup of coffee
protibon

Post by protibon »

Je me suis bien marré en lisant les articles de la presse mainstream disant que la saison 3 allait apporter les réponses aux questions ouvertes à la fin de la saison 2. Je crois que c'est mal connaitre Frost et Lynch !

Perso, je n'attends pas franchement de réponses, ça ne m'intéresse même pas vraiment, je préfère que les acolytes me transportent avec leurs histoires et leur univers. C'est bien parti après avoir vu les 4 premières parties.

Ah sinon, j'ai beaucoup aimé la fin de Lost 8-)
dale_coop wrote: 04 June 2017, 15:20 Intéressant, cet essai. Je ne sais pas si je suis complètement d'accord, parce qu'on a tous maintenant sa propre compréhension de Twin Peaks, mais son explication et les théories qu'il proposent sont plausibles.
Rêve, univers parallèle, beaucoup de théories qui s'entre-choquent depuis des années et encore plus depuis quelques mois (depuis la sortie de l'Histoire Secrète de Twin Peaks).

Tout ce que je souhaite, c'est que Twin Peaks ne se termine pas sur un "Ah c'était juste un rêve", a la JR dans Dallas, ni même une fin a la LOST, n'ai vraiment pas trop accroché, un peu bâclée... trop facile pour boucler une histoire devenir trop compliquée, impossible à détricoter.
Mr. Jackpots

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I love this essay! He captures the essence of Twin Peaks The Return (and all of Lynch's work) instead of trying to pick apart minute "clues." There is room for clues and viewers acting as detectives (that's part of the whole Lynch experience), but so many of the groups and forums I've seen focus far too much on details like "What does the white horse mean?" etc. He does discuss patterns that run through Lynch's work, which is wonderful.

This quote from the article: "When watching a David Lynch production, you’re forced into something that is so far away from your realm of experience, but at the same time so familiar. It’s so familiar, yet so uncomfortable. It’s discomforting, yet we’re putting ourselves through it on purpose. We’re drawn to it, we’re looking for it, and I think it is a testament to his art. Recently, David Nevins compared Lynch to heroin, and I get it. You’re drawn to his art, curious about your own discomfort, and then you’re drawn to the characters, the music and the mood. It’s so addictive. (Halskov 2017a)

With Lynch, you have to be able to "sit" with the mystery and the not-knowing and just enjoy the ride!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop »

With Lynch, you have to be able to "sit" with the mystery and the not-knowing and just enjoy the ride!
Exactly.
It feels comfortable just being on that ride.
A damn fine cup of coffee
Andreas Halskov

Post by Andreas Halskov »

Thank you for the different comments. I am playing around with different potential readings and theories, but my main point - and I hope that is clear enough - is that I, too, am confused and desoriented. But I just love the way David Lynch and Mark Frost have managed to take me for a ride.
"The Return" is great, at least so far, but I am also very interested in seeing how they manage to finish off this beast of a story. I like "Lost," but I, too, am hoping for something more...