Tamara Preston and the secret dossier...

Coop

Tamara Preston and the secret dossier...

Post by Coop »

Hey TP fans!

First of all, I can't believe the wait is over! I can't tell you how happy this makes me, and I really love The Return so far. It's like you get two things instead of one. You get stuff from "the old" Twin Peaks, places, characters, major plots that comes directly from season 1 and two plus FWWM...but you also get a David Lynch movie. I love both those things, so I really like what they've done so far.

So. I have thought about this for a week or so and I almost haven't read anything about it yet.
Forgive me if this is old news or if someone already wrote about this.

I have a feeling that maybe the finding of the dossier (in Secret history of Twin Peaks) at a mysterious crime scene, hasn't actually happened yet. Maybe the book actually tells us about something yet to come, and that we will see when Tamara Preston receives the dossier from Gordon Cole and then see her take on the case it leads to? Is this a possibility? I get the impression that she doesn't really seem to know anything about Twin Peaks or Cooper in episode 3 or 4, which she most definitely would have if she already read the files.

Again, maybe this is old news for people, but I haven't heard or read anything about this yet, so I wanted to see why you guys think. Would be pretty cool if this is how it is.

Also, a side note... To me, Tamara Preston in the show feel very very different from Tamara from the book. It's like she's a whole other person. In the book she seems like a smart, nerdy lone wolf that loves science and facts, like a younger Dana Scully. In the new series, so far, Tamara feels more like a smart, confident, sexy and cool young woman, working extra as a burlesque artist. Very different.

That's the one thing I really don't like about the new show, I would have liked to see the Tamara from the book. I liked the book.
I'm still glad that the character is in there though, that they actually use stuff from the book! And obviously, Lynch and Frost can do whatever they want and hopefully she will grow on me.

So, what do you think?
(Oh, I also saw that episode 5 is named Case Files. Promising?)
Cheers from Sweden!
dale_coop

Re: Tamara Preston and the secret dossier...

Post by dale_coop »

So do I
I have the same feeling about Tamara, I don't like the one from the show, right now. But who knows, she might be change... or maybe she is a very different person when she alone (a cute girl, funny, drinking beers and a cinema nerd ;))

About the mysterious crime crime, I thought it might be the Ruth death, gross and very mysterious, so the dossier might have been hidden there, for a reason... but I can't understand why and... how major Briggs would be connected to that place or to Ruth!

So 'm still waiting for the discovery of the Dossier in this season :)
A damn fine cup of coffee
Coop

Post by Coop »

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, feels like it's going to be discovered really soon! (If we're right about it not being discovered yet that is)

I have a theory that maybe that body in Ruth's bed could actually be Briggs. Remember, it was classified by the military for some reason... Maybe digging up his corpse was him "visiting" Briggs... the voice that bad Cooper thought was Philip Jefferis talked about that.

Hopefully we will get some answers soon! :)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop »

Right!
So could be that, yes. Thanks for sharing your ideas, it's interesting.
Glad that the Dossier will be in Tammy hands soon ;)

I will take the book from my shelf and keep it next to me.
It's a very good book, full of secrets and mysteries.
Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

Coop wrote: 04 June 2017, 17:30I have a feeling that maybe the finding of the dossier (in Secret history of Twin Peaks) at a mysterious crime scene, hasn't actually happened yet. Maybe the book actually tells us about something yet to come, and that we will see when Tamara Preston receives the dossier from Gordon Cole and then see her take on the case it leads to? Is this a possibility? I get the impression that she doesn't really seem to know anything about Twin Peaks or Cooper in episode 3 or 4, which she most definitely would have if she already read the files.
Tamara, or "Tammy" as Gordon refers to her, certainly doesn't seem to know anything about Twin Peaks and Cooper so far in the new season indeed. I had not thought yet about "when the finding of the dossier" takes place in this chronology but indeed, now that I think about it, I bet it has not happened yet.

People who have read "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" know who the Archivist is. And well, I wouldn't be surprised if that mysterious beheaded body placed "under" Ruth Davenport's head was the Archivist's (a lot of clues lead to this conclusion : the Military Authorization, Bobby's memories, the Major's head "floating" in space when Cooper is in the "Mauve Room".)

By the way, I totally agree about your take of Tammy's character so far in the new season.
Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hi all,

The dossier was found in mid-July 2016 on a crime scene, by two unidentified FBI agents. (It would be the middle of the summer vacations for a high school principal, so we can rule out it is the Ruth Davenport murder, as Bill Hastings spent the week of the murder at work, having meetings some evenings. The FBI wasn't the authority in charge on the crime scene either.)

Tamara gets the dossier in August 2016, and finishes her analysis a few weeks later, probably early September.

So far, there are many clues that put the timeline of The Return in 2014, more specifically late September.

First, there's Hastings who is asked to recount his coming and goings of the last week. He got arrested on a Saturday (the first day of that week he was "at home all day"). His wife gets killed the next day (Sunday) and then Cooper has his accident the day after that. Luckily, we saw his prison card, and we got the date of his arrest: September 22nd.

What year? Well.. .to match the calendar days of the week, the year these events take place in has to be 2014, not 2016.

One more clue: Wally Brandon is 24 y.o. If the series was set in 2016 like TSHOTP, he would rather be 26 y.o.

It's not "full proof" yet, we might get more clues to firmly identify the year of the series as it progresses, and something might come and debunk the notion it's set in 2014 and not September 2016 - but it looks like TSHOTP might well be a sequel to The Return, not a prequel as I think we all expected it to be, with the July crime scene leading straight into the new series.

This probably means we have to completely reassess our theories about the bizarre discrepancies between the novel and the series, which Mark said are intentional.

And we have a whole new series of reasons to reread the book, because already some oddities have surfaced regarding Tamara's work (which we thought was the one thing in the book fully reliable!!)... like the fact she speaks throughout as if she never met Dale Cooper, has no information on his disappearance, doesn't know the fate of Major Briggs and so on. 4 episodes into the series, she met Bad Dale and certainly heard a lot of facts about his disappearance in 89é She also speaks as if she doesn't know Director Cole that well - went for a coffee with him once... riiiight - and barely mentions Albert when it's clear on the show they know each other well. Frost wrote the book right after finishing the series, so this was all fresh in his head - no way these are mistakes.

It looks more and more like the Dossier may not really have been found on crime scene in 2016... but perhaps put there on purpose by the FBI.

My theory: As we get to episode 18, Agent Dale Cooper won't be able to clear his name of the crimes of his doppelgänger, and thus will have, with the help of Cole, Albert and Preston, to adopt a new secret identity, and maybe work under cover, watching the mysteries of Ghostwoods.

To get the authorities off his back, they will fake his death, using the body of the doppelgänger. This will be our July 2016 crime scene. The dossier, genuinely the work of Major Briggs and perhaps stolen by Bad Coop, will be expunged and altered by Tamara Preston with possibly the help of Dale Cooper. It will help covering up what really happened in 1989, cutting all references that would lead people on the track on Annie Blackburn and how she was used by Windom Earle to enter the Black Lodge, and a ton of other informations Gordon Cole won't want the FBI to officially have. It will go so far into erasing Annie that someone, likely Dale himself but possibly Hawk for real, will write a fictional new story of Ed and Norma, with a false family background etc. To anyone who doesn't know about Annie, Norma and Ed are totally irrelevant to the "mysteries" and they won't look further into that, finding out the lies about her mother, about her sister, or the lies about Lana winning Miss Twin Peaks.

Another thing they don't get is the truth about Audrey and her father, One-Eyed Jacks... removing all connections between Cooper and her.

It's all a cover up, with the complicity of Tammy Preston for sure, to protect Dale.

What of the Final Dossier? I think we will get the sections written by Briggs post 1989 that life in TP after Dale's departure. We will then get the "unaltered version" of a few pages, the ones Tamara has forged to remove some information. And we will get Preston's case notes about her work in 2014 to 2016, on the Dale Cooper case, including the story of the "forgery" of the dossier.

Bu wait.. Briggs is said by his son to have died the day after he met Cooper back from the Lodge, thus in late March 1989... how come he could write about events set months later, like Audrey's coma, the inquiry into the bank explosion, Lana's adventure with Donald Trump, Catherine becoming a recluse and selling all her assets etc. Well... I think Briggs faked his death in the fire of the station, and vanished to protect his mission and ensure the safety of his family. I believe Bad Coop eventually found him, but many years later. He might have taken the dossier then, which by the end of the Return will find its way into Cole's hands... to be analyzed urgently by Preston and altered, before it's left on the scene of the execution of "Bad Cooper".
Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

I was not sure if it was a good idea or not to create a Lynchland forum. Now, with only this topic, I know the answer : it was a terrific idea ! :) Thanks all for your thoughts and analysis. It's going to be a great ride !
Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland
Coop

Post by Coop »

Dom, I loved reading your theories about the files, thank you for sharing them with us!
Coop

Post by Coop »

And Roland, really good idea to start this forum. Thank you for that!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop »

Merci :)

Dom, thank you! It's a great light on the case, very good analyse of the facts.
Ok, looks like we won't see the Dossier in the serie soon, as I thought :p