The Glass Box

Lynchland

The Glass Box

Post by Lynchland »

The Glass Box sequences in the first 4 episodes are so impressive that it has almost become one of the most important "characters" in the new Twin Peaks.

Everything in the mise en scène is perfect : the design of the stage set, the slowness of the ritual actions depicted, the numerous, long and silent shots (well, not so "silent" though with David Lynch's sound design), the amazing tension that is built minute after minute until this terrorizing closure - I wonder if I had been frightened this much since... well yeah, Bob !

It's no surprise that the Glass Box has given birth to a lot of "theories" on the internet since May 21st. On my side, I see it mainly as a kind of metaphor of our behavior as TV viewers. And perhaps even, as a close friend suggested, the young student could be a nice metaphor of people watching Twin Peaks for the first time : he has been told by someone that "something" could appear there and so he stays there and hopes to see this "happening again", until his attention is diverted. The fans have to PAY ATTENTION when they watch this TV Box ! :)

Check "What’s in the Box ? The Great Mystery of Twin Peaks : The Return", an article about these different theories, written by Brian Tallerico and published by Vulture (and I'm sure there are a lot of similar articles out there, let me know if you have found better than this one).

Now, what are your "theories" (even if I don't like this word) or what questions arise in your mind when thinking about this Glass Box ?

Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland
Facundo

Re: The Glass Box

Post by Facundo »

I'm pretty sure the box has something to do with the last chapter of TSHOTP. The description of the "experiment" and the creature is very similar to what happened on the book. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the scene.
Remember that Frost wrote the book after reading (and even filming) some of Lynch's script, so it's pretty probable quite probable that MF based this text on Lynch's script.

Here's the passage (of course, spoilers ahead if you haven't read the book)

Context: Douglas Milford met president Nixon in 1973. In this chapter, Nixon shows Doug this government experiment.
At a signal from the President, the General pushed a button on the console and the curtain started to rise.

We were looking into a very dimly lit room that appeared to be empty. Then, in roughly the center of the room, I realized a shape, small and pale, appeared to be sitting or squatting, turned away from us, showing only a grayish-greenish-white spiny back. Then it disappeared entirely.
Moments later it rappeared, as if a conealing shadow--or a magician's cape--had simply passed over it. But it hadn't moved and I still couldn't tell if it was inert or animated. Whatever it was then pased in and out of my view a second time. The General flipped a switch on the console and tapped twice on a microphone; the sound of which we could hear through a speaker as it was conveyed into the room.

I saw the shape react, stiffen. Then it turned to look our way through the window--it seemed to me likely that it was one-way glass, mirrored on the interior side--and for a brief moment the shape of its face was visible. The glimpse we got was extermely brief before it vanished again and I wasn't entirely sure of what I saw, beyond a vivid impression of large oval black eyes, pinched to the point of nonexisten mouth and nose, and a smooth bulbous head. Then it was gone.
My opinion about this creature is that it has to do something with the "nonexistence". I don't think the experiment (the new one, in NY) was about looking for Cooper, I think they wanted to make contact with some creatures of the "nonexistence". Cooper had to change his place with Mr. C (BOB) but the creation of Dougie changed the plans, so he was pulled out to the "non-existence" place (that place with Naido, Phoebe Agustine/Ronette and "the mother).
Fuego, camina conmigo | @ArgTwinpeaks
MikevanSchijndel

Post by MikevanSchijndel »

This is my theory:

The black shape is Babalon, an entity described by Aleister Crowley in his book "The Book of Law". Check Wiki here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babalon.

If you read the Secret History of Twin Peaks, there are two times Babalon is mentioned. Once after showing herself to a bunch of followers/cultists in a Crowley mansion, the other time when the main character (Douglas Milford) visits President Nixon who shows him a dark figure trapped in a box. The description of the figure matches what we see on screen exactly! (note, Nixon is also wearing the Owl Cave ring at one point in the book).

So, Babalon is also named the mother of abominations (remember the woman in the weird room Cooper visits in episode mentioning something like 'Go, now! Mother is coming!". There is some correlation between Cooper escaping into the glass box, and later the dark shape escaping. If you check these scenes that have been put right next to eachother, Cooper is the first to escape the lodge, but is sucked back, and afterwards, the dark shape escapes. Maybe the dark shape (which I think is Babalon) escapes after Cooper clears the way, maybe she is able to escape by tricking him, but most likely evil Cooper somehow is involved.

As a matter of fact, I think evil Cooper is after Babablon. Remember him showing the card to Darya and him saying: "This is what I want". I think evil Cooper has set up an eleborate plan to let Babalon escape the lodges, where she will be vulnerable, so he can kill her, and take her power. This plan may even have been made before Cooper was trapped which gives S1 and S2 a whole other dimension if you think about it. In the biography/tape book by Cooper it is mentioned he'd already encountered a lodge spirit at a very young age. Maybe BoB lured him into the lodge, so he could possess him, and use his mind/spirit to take over Babalon.

The last few steps of his plan cost him a lot if not all of his garmonbozia. Which resets his 'human interactions' right back to a very basic level. Think Cooper saying: "I need to brush my teeth" at the end of season two. This explains why he is acting so weird in episode 4 when he meets Cole and Albert.

My guess is Evil Cooper/BoB will go after Babalon/The Black Shape and might even have accommodated the whole Glass Box. Sam and the girl were left there as a lure and most likely an offering. Why else would you just put someone like Sam (who is not really up to speed) guarding this enormously important box? There is also the chance the girl has offered herself willingly if she was part of a cult to summon Babalon, but that is maybe stretching things (I do find it very odd that all the guards are GONE when she arrived)..

The box itself is a way out of the lodge. It could even be Cooper is looking for it (we know he is looking for coordinates from Hastings' secretary).

So many questions still! I can't wait to see the next episode. Meanwhile, I really recommend checking out the book The Secret History of Twin Peaks. It contains so much good stuff that puts a lot of the stuff we are seeing (and have seen in the first two seasons) in a new light.
Last edited by MikevanSchijndel on 04 June 2017, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
MikevanSchijndel

Post by MikevanSchijndel »

Facundo beat me to it! :D
bluebox

Post by bluebox »

Hi! New here! :mrgreen:

Well, like Lynch said once, we all see a painting in different ways. It's quite rare that two people can have the same impression when watching some of his works. The comparison with a person watchgin a TV box is legit, although I think it can be way more deeper than that.

Well, can't wait for part 5! :shock:
bluebox

Post by bluebox »

Wow! This is so f. insteresting!! Going to found out more about this :shock
MikevanSchijndel wrote: 04 June 2017, 21:54 This is my theory:

The black shape is Babalon, an entity described by Aleister Crowley in his book "The Book of Law". Check Wiki here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babalon.

If you read the Secret History of Twin Peaks, there are two times Babalon is mentioned. Once after showing herself to a bunch of followers/cultists in a Crowley mansion, the other times when the main character (Douglas Milford) visits President Nixon who shows him a dark figure trapped in a box. The description of the figure matches what we see on screen exactly! (note, Nixon is also wearing the Owl Cave ring at one point in the book).

So, Babalon is also named the mother of abominations (remember the woman in the weird room Cooper visits in episode mentioning something like 'Go, now! Mother is coming!". There is some correlation between Cooper escaping into the glass box, and later the dark shape escaping. If you check these scenes that have been put right next to eachother, Cooper is the first to escape the lodge, but is sucked back, and afterwards, the dark shape escapes. Maybe the dark shape (which I think is Babalon) escapes after Cooper clears the way, maybe she is able to escape by tricking him, but most likely evil Cooper somehow is involved.

As a matter of fact, I think evil Cooper is after Babablon. Remember him showing the card to Darya and him saying: "This is what I want". I think evil Cooper has set up an eleborate plan to let Babalon escape the lodges, where she will be vulnerable, so he can kill her, and take her power. This plan may even have been made before Cooper was trapped which gives S1 and S2 a whole other dimension if you think about it. In the biography/tape book by Cooper it is mentioned he'd already encountered a lodge spirit at a very young age. Maybe BoB lured him into the lodge, so he could possess him, and use his mind/spirit to take over Babalon.

The last few steps of his plan cost him a lot if not all of his garmonbozia. Which resets his 'human interactions' right back to a very basic level. Think Cooper saying: "I need to brush my teeth" at the end of season two. This explains why he is acting so weird in episode 4 when he meets Cole and Albert.

My guess is Evil Cooper/BoB will go after Babalon/The Black Shape and might even have accommodated the whole Glass Box. Sam and the girl were left there as a lure and most likely an offering. Why else would you just put someone like Sam (who is not really up to speed) guarding this enormously important box? There is also the chance the girl has offered herself willingly if she was part of a cult to summon Babalon, but that is maybe stretching things (I do find it very odd that all the guards are GONE when she arrived)..

The box itself is a way out of the lodge. It could even be Cooper is looking for it (we know he is looking for coordinates from Hastings' secretary).

So many questions still! I can't wait to see the next episode. Meanwhile, I really recommend checking out the book The Secret History of Twin Peaks. It contains so much good stuff that puts a lot of the stuff we are seeing (and have seen in the first two seasons) in a new light.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop »

Facundo, wow bob wow, your theory is stunning!
Thank you for having shared, I didn't know about Babylon. But after red your idea, I will take a look at it/her ;)

My thoughts was the box is the same as in the TSHOTP. It's very interesting that they are still trying to make contact/understand the "other world", since Nixon.

As many said, the most interesting part about Twin Peaks is that it makes people have discussions, share ideas, their interpretations. Exactly as we do with Art.
A damn fine cup of coffee
Facundo

Post by Facundo »

It's the same building that Lynch used, a bit digitally modified (I think).

This is the one: 33 Thomas Street, New York. Curious, it was also used on Mr. Robot season two finale.
Fuego, camina conmigo | @ArgTwinpeaks
Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

Could Audrey Horne Be the Glass Box Anonymous Billionaire ? (Chris E. Hayner / The Hollywood Reporter)

A few days ago, I had a vision of an hemiplegic Audrey coming back to Twin Peaks. I must admit that, if Audrey was revealed as this mysterious anonymous billionaire, it would be an exciting moment for the series and an interesting come-back.

Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland