The Briggs Mysteries

Lynchland

The Briggs Mysteries

Post by Lynchland »

“This is the chair” - Part 9 Thoughts - The Briggs Mysteries

It wasn't really a surprise that, after Part 8 deep shock that knocked down all of us, Part 9 was more narrative. But, exactly like Part 9 was experimental AND also narrative in the same time, despite what many people have thought, telling us the "big story" of the Twin Peaks, Laura and Bob's origins, Part 8 was narrative AND also experimental in the same time.

A few months ago, even if we had read "The Secret History of Twin Peaks", who would have believed that the Major Briggs would become such an essential and pivotal character in the new season ? Since the revival has been announced, dozens and dozens of articles and hundreds of posts have been published, wondering how David Lynch and Mark Frost would include Bob in the story of new season, knowing that Frank Silva passed away in 1995, and how David would feature his character in the show. Now we have the answers to this question, at least partially, and damn the various solution chosen have been brilliant, moving and terrifying, without a concession !

But before the new season began, WHO was wondering how the Lynch / Frost duo would manage to include the Major Garland Briggs in the story, knowing that Don Davis died nine years ago in 2008 ? Actually, when we saw Major Briggs' head floating in space at the beginning of Part 3, I thought that it was a great and moving tribute to Don Davis' character but I would never have imagined how this character would become so central now ! And yet, many years ago, John Thorne and Craig Miller from the fantastic "Wrapped in Plastic" magazine had interviewed Don Davis and here is what he told them about a potential third season that went dead in the water after 1991 :

“I'd been told [I'd play a part in Cooper's rescue.] That's all I know. That if it went on, my character would havebecome much more evident. I was so disappointed when it didn't go on. But whether or not that really would have happened is anybody's guess.”

It HAS happened, Don, everything was already there ! And this is how we come to this Part 9, where an important majority of the essential sequences revolve around Major Briggs, the man who was not there, the man who is missing, the man everyone thought died 25 years ago, the man who travelled through time : from the morgue scene to Bill Hastings, from the Briggs family sequence in Twin Peaks to Jack Rabbits Palace, the Major Briggs' halo shines everywhere, and it's moving, exciting and so mysterious in the same time.

So yes, Part 9 is narrative, but narrative in David Lynch's way, as we are watching some events that are "happening again", as Major Briggs has already WITNESSSED them, even more than he would have "predicted" them. How can we call this "narrative screenplay" which is breaking a linear timeline into pieces, where the "future" has already happen "25 years before" ? Welcome to the Zone !
Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland