Corruption & Treacheries | One One Nine !

Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

“Laura is the One” - Part 10 Thoughts

Since the first time we met Richard Horne in Part 5 of the new Twin Peaks, we feel that “something is rotten in the state of Twin Peaks”, to paraphrase Marcellus in "Hamlet". The little town was of course not "pure and innocent" in the first seasons, as we realized Laura's fate, but in this new season, evil seems to spread and "infect" the youth in the first place : drugs, domestic violence and prostitution seem quite common and not hidden anymore, and Richard Horne is definitely a symbol of this decay.

Twin Peaks Part 10 is often not an "easy" one to watch, as “goodness is in jeopardy” many times : Becky being assaulted "one more time" by her boyfriend ; the poor Miriam being threatened and then probably murdered by Richard Horne ; a corrupted cop at the Sheriff Station, that was a kind of pure shelter 25 years ago ; Richard Horne, once again, attacking and violently assaulting her grandmother Sylvia, in a terrible and horrific sequence that can remind the rape sequence of "A Clockwork Orange" without the same kubrickian irony and distance, despite the mechanical presence of that "Randy-bear".

The situation outside of Twin Peaks, "in our world", is not better and, as Janey-E would say, “it's a dark dark age” : Las Vegas seems filled by hitmen and rotten financers ; Mister C. was probably the one financing the Glass Box in New York and, in Buckhorn ; Diane has potentially betrayed Gordon Cole and the whole FBI.

When you hope that a very old man (Carl Rodd) or a disabled person (Johnny Horne) comes to help the innocents, you realize that Hope is gonna die soon. Hopefully, there were a few nice and light sequences in Part 10 : Albert and Constance laughing and having dinner and, of course, this wonderful sequences involving Coop' as Dougie and his wife Janey-E "falling in love" once again.

Contrary to what can be read here and there, the scenario is not at all disjointed but we can already nicely see all the pieces coming together. One startling new piece has appeared though, with this short and hallucinating shot of Laura seen by Gordon Cole... or was it David Lynch still obsessed by this central figure since more than 25 years ?

I'm gonna conclude these thoughts by confessing that I have been quite indifferent to all the sequences involving the Mitchum Bros and Candie for the moment, as they all seemed forced to me. But I'm still curious to see where this plotline will go in forthcoming parts.
Call for help !

Roland K. / Lynchland